The passage that convinced me to subscribe was from a post she wrote last week, titled The Power of One:
This was my life prior to November. This would still be my life were it not for a newly-won insistence on clearing things from my calendar.
Obligations: we overload our schedules because…
Every day that we have too much too do, we are performing sub par and missing out on so much. Running from errand to errand, and place to place leaves us to tired to enjoy what really matters.
- We don’t want to be seen as lazy.
- We don’t know what to do with free time.
- There’s no time to address the fact that we are overworked and overwhelmed.
- A jam packed calendar means we are important.
- We don’t want to say no.
- Being too busy is better than disappointing someone.
I was thrilled this morning to read a friend's emailed request to meet up for tea, but mortified to see her follow-up line "I'm sure you're booking many months out." I'm so glad to have scheduled an hour with her for next week, and planning to be ever more vigilant about leaving time in my days, and weeks, for the people I care about -- more joy, with less obligation.
What do you think of Courtney's work?
First published at expetesso.com